Wednesday, March 30, 2005

"It's Always Something!"

My favorite Saturday Night Live actress was Gilda Radner, and her phrase "it's always something," really seems profound -- most days.

I had an idea this morning of what to write, until a household mishap lands me in the emergency room and hours later, I am typing impaired, my wedding band in ruins, a splint on my left ring finger, and the overwhelming desire for pain killers. A fractured joint is NO FUN.

“It’s always something,” be it an artistic endeavor, or viewpoint on a current issue. There is usually something that has caused you to take a particular view, or opinion. It is the sum of our experiences. Our background, culture, family make-up, everything that we have experienced is imprinted.

Sometimes you start out with “A” in mind, and “boom!” not you’re doing “D.”

It’s like the decision to take a particular path. For example, you are hiking along a river; you come to a fork where the path splits three ways. All the paths will take you to your final destination. One route will take you to the top of the hill; another to a scenic overlook, and yet another along a riverbank.

They are each different, and each will give a different perspective and experience.

I was going to do more today on the hustle and bustle of preparing a house to be sold, sort through things, paint and try to preserve the memories. Instead, I am inactive, side-lined,

Oh, nothing has changed, except “Mom” has one less hand and everyone else has to do more to pick-up the slack. Friends of DD painted a room; DD started more wrapping, and made dinner. Instead of packing, or even scrapping, I am nursing a sore hand. I have to STOP, my hectic pace and “be.”

May you have the choice today, to stop and “be” for a few minutes today.

1 Comments:

At April 29, 2005 1:48 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Oh, ouch Sandy! I'm so sorry to hear. I hope you are feeling better, the kids are helping out, and that you get a cool new ring!

Mimi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home